Humiliation, intimidation, and bullying at the hands of school officials at Uintah Elementary in Utah this week decidedly has me questioning what other similar events are occurring. We expect our children are treated with kindness love and respect by schools and their staff’s, and that they should feel safe and secure with those individuals meant to educate them.
How is it that 2 employees all of a sudden decide that past due accounts with extremely small balances should result in shaming, embarrassing, bullying, confusing, and intimidating children 10 and under? To make matters worse, the meals that were taken from the children AFTER they had already been given them were then discarded into the trash! Can someone? anyone? explain the logic in this?
Apparently the district has a policy that prevents cafeteria employees from giving food to any student when that food has already been served to someone else. District officials announced today that the cafeteria manager and a district employee whom was present at the time and overseeing this have been placed on a, get this, PAID administrative leave, while the district investigates.
- The district is willing to pay employees who bullied, harassed, intimated and embarrassed children while they sit at home and not work because the child was a couple dollars short in their lunch account.
- What was the district official overseeing this doing at the school if not of official district business? What then is there to investigate?
- The School is obviously insistent in following district policies in throwing out food that has already been served, why then are we to believe that this too wasn’t directed by the district?
- If the food was to be wasted due to this policy of not serving food that has already been served to another student, why then were the students who did eat allowed to share with those that didn’t?
- Why did the district wait to suspend these employees until after it went to media? Apparently this has happened at this school before, the parents just stayed quiet the other times.
In my opinion, the School superintendent knew about this all along. He and everyone associated with this mess, including the school principal and the teacher who is supposed to watch over these students and protect them should immediately be fired for creating a hostile learning environment where the children are subject to these bullying behaviors at the hands of those meant to protect and educate.
We can no longer sit quiet on issues such as this, the safety of our children require that we speak out.
additional links to this story:
http://usat.ly/1eiXP2f via @usatoday